During this chilly time of year we learn to deal with the winter season but often forget about some best practices in dealing with the flu season. If you prefer to stay healthy and avoid getting sick, then this article is for you. Below, we provide some tips to help in dodging the winter flu.
- Consistently wash your hands. Now this may seem quite simple, however it is hands down (no pun intended) the most effective way to kill germs that you come into contact with.
- Boost your vitamins. Specifically Vitamin C. Vitamin C is one of the most powerful immune system boosters out there. You get it in orange juice, broccoli, some other fruits as well as multivitamins. You might want to increase your intake to help fight off the germs.
- Eat foods with garlic. Garlic is a intense immune system booster, and gets rid of germs quite quickly. Not only is it really healthy, but it also tastes great. Toss some extrta garlic into your food and you will be one step healthier.
- Drink a large amount of water. The recommended intake is 6-8 glasses per day. A healthy alternative if you don’t like water, is herbal tea. They also contain many antioxidants that can fight sickness.
- Consume plenty of zinc rich foods. Foods that contain zinc, are meats such as lamb, pork beef and salmon as well as dairy products. Beans, nuts and seeds also contain a decent amount.
- Keep a tab on your sugar/flour intake. Too much of these will lower your immune system and contribute to gaining excess weight. You should stick to whole grain breads or sugar from natural sources such as fruit juice.
- Exercise consistently. This will keep you fit and in good shape, boost your immune system and keep your stress at bay. Try and go as much as possible to a gym, get exercise videos or create your own workouts. This will only keep you stronger and healthier in the winter.
While you are thinking about your health, we recommend taking some extra time to review your Life and Health Insurance needs. At Breckles, we can help with any of your insurance needs. Connect with us to experience the broker difference.Back to Blog