Happy Family Day!
Yet another holiday that will be a bit different. While doing our best to stay home and being safe, many of us found new ways to focus on our relationships with friends and family. Some ideas have been quite innovative, leveraging technology to have virtual parties, group chats or online gaming. On a different end, some of us found simple gold old fashioned ideas like going for walks, playing board games or using meals to help create memories.
At Breckles, we love the idea of using meals to help bring friends and family together. We hope you find some new recipes or new ways to use meals this holiday to help build relationships within your bubble.
Healthy living includes having fun. Here’s a low fat recipe where you can control the calories and overindulge in fun.
Who doesn’t love a delicious crepe for breakfast? With this delicious recipe, you can have fun cooking, and eating great food. It is easily customizable, which makes it easy to add fruits, sausage and egg, or even ice cream depending on the type of crepe you want. This recipe is also great for the kids, as they can definitely help out during the preparation.
Recipe for a crepe with strawberry filling;
1 pound fresh or frozen strawberries, quartered, plus more for garnish, if desired
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the crepes:
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
Steps to Success:
1. Stir the strawberries and sugar together in a glass bowl. Let the mixture stand to allow the fruit juices to release. At minimum, allow 30 minutes or prepare the night before and refrigerate. If you’re using frozen strawberries and in a rush, heat them with the sugar over medium heat until they’re defrosted, about 2 minutes.
2. Next step is to whisk together the cornstarch and lemon juice in a bowl. Combine them with the strawberry mixture. Use medium-low to simmer until it thickens, about 10 minutes. When you reach your desired thickness, set aside in a cool bowl to stop the cooking process.
3. In order, place 3 tablespoons of the butter, eggs, milk, sugar, salt and flour in a blender and process until smooth. You might need to scrape the sides if the dry ingredients are not blending properly. The key is a smooth feel and should take about 1 minute to achieve.
4. Let’s fire up the oven and burners! Set the oven to 175 degrees and warm a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. The ideal skillet to use is 10-inch with slopped sides. Although this is nonstick skillet, you will still need to grease it a bit. Use your favorite cooking spray or use some of the remaining butter.
5. Pour 1/4 cup batter into pan to form the crepe. Lift the pan from the heat and tilt it in a circular motion to evenly coat the bottom surface. Place back onto the burner to cook. When the crepe edges pull away from the skillet, the crepe is almost ready. This takes about 2 minutes. Flip the crepe with a large rubber spatula and continue cooking until the crepe is lightly browned on the opposite side, about 1 minute more. Transfer the crepe to oven safe warming tray and place it in the oven to keep warm while you make the rest.
6. Here’s the moment of truth. Warm the strawberry filling over low heat. You can also use the filling cold or at room temperature, but warming the filling will release more flavor. Add about 2 tablespoons of the filling to the center of the crepe. Apply thin and evenly, allowing about 2 inches of room from the edge of the crepe. Using your hands, fold the crepe in half making a half moon and securing the filling inside the crepe. The final step is to fold it again to make a triangle.
Here is where we recommend calling in the kids for help. If there are no kids around for this recipe, then we recommend you play the roll. Have fun!
7. Decorate and enjoy! Use additional fruit to decorate the plate and lightly dust it with powdered sugar.
Banana Palm Trees
Making this interesting looking dish is actually quite easy! It makes cooking fun for the little ones, and when they see the fruit, they will be having too much fun playing with it that they will forget how healthy it is! Have a look below to see the ingredients and preparation instructions.
Steps to Success:
1. Cut a peeled banana in half on the long side – just like a banana split. Take each half and cut into 1.5 cm slices trying to keep the form of the banana half. This will be the trunk of the tree so place the banana in the sides in the middle of the plate to allow room for the island at the bottom and leaves at the top..
2. Peel the mandarin, and separate the segments. On the plate, place the segments in rows below the banana to create an island.
3. Peel the skin off the kiwi fruit and cut into small segments. Place above the banana ‘tree trunks’ to look like palm leaves.Back to Blog